[Zope] ActiveState on Zope.org

Gregor Hoffleit gregor@hoffleit.de
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 16:02:23 +0100

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 11:32:29AM +0100, Martijn Pieters wrote:
> And if you browse the ActiveState site some more, you'll see what they do
> for OSS.
>
> Who says that an OSS shop needs to run exclusively on OSS or has
> no right to sell software solutions?
>
> We at Digital Creations also use Windows NT and other commercial software,
> and our services also come with a price tag.

Just for the record:

The "right to sell software solutions" and the right to do "services with a
price tag" are even very crucial and important points in the world of free
software (read about RMS position in "Selling Free Software" at
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html).

What the free software community dislikes is selling *proprietary* software
solutions.

In my own words: Money flow is no problem at all, as long as it doesn't take
away any crucial freedoms ;-).

    Gregor

PS: The crucial point about selling free software is certainly that you get
paid for the solution and for the work being done, not for the license to
use the software.