[Zope] License

Michael Bernstein webmaven@lvcm.com
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 07:22:50 -0800

Chris Withers wrote:

> And the reason I asked is 'cos, as I understand it, if I use a GPL-licensed
> product in a product/solution I provide, then I have to do that for free and
> open source it too, which often isn't an option :-(

Strictly speaking, that is true, but only because you used
the word 'in'. There are many circumstances where you can
provide your non-free solution 'with' a GPL'd product.

As an example, if the TinyTable Product were GPL'd, it would
not prevent Squishdot from being proprietary, even if it
*required* a TinyTable instance.

Only if the GPL'd source code was incorporated directly into
your own, or if you distributed the two products in the same
tarball, would your code be required to be GPL'd as well.

HTH,

Michael.