[Zope] Extended characters in Zope

Tue, 30 Jan 2001 08:58:09 -0800

Hmmm, as far as the ZCatalog part; I know that at some point it was only
working iwth 7 bit ascii characters, then someone put a patch in so that it
supported Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1) in the vocabularies...  I don't know when (or
if) that was ever integrated into the zope core, but I'm sure that if you
search Zope.org for Latin-1 you should find it...

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Ausum [mailto:augusto@artlover.com]
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2001 7:05 PM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: [Zope] Extended characters in Zope

I have to deal with documents and its attributes wich have a lot of extended
characters in them, like the "ñ" or the hyphened "á"..."ú" vocals in
spanish.

The ones who download the pages in Windows don't have any trouble. The ones
who
use Mac  will see strange characters, as it might be expected. Updating a
page
or propertie from a Mac will cause the same problem for Windows users,
because
Zope doesn't convert the extended characters to the web-friendly format when
properties are added.

I'd also like to search in Zcatalog using these extended characters, ie.
"Effects of El Niño", from any platform. Is there a workaround for this
situation?

Ausum

p.d  I'm sure that european Zopists have already faced  this problem and
probably found a solution. Unfortunately I couldn't find it at the archives.