[Zope] BUG? was Re: [Zope] Problem with Cut and Paste

Jerome Alet alet@unice.fr
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:04:51 +0100

Good evening again,

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 08:45:06PM +0100, Jerome Alet wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 02:24:50PM -0500, Brian Lloyd wrote:
> >
> > This is your problem - Netscape allows a maximum of 4k of
> > cookie data for a given site (and silently truncates the
> > rest).
>
> I'm sorry but AFAIK there's nothing sending cookies to my browser from this
> installation. More than that, if I manually cut then paste the same
> object with the Cut and Paste buttons in the management interface
> it works perfectly, and in this situation the cookie data should be
> exactly the same, correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I've found where the problem comes from, it has nothing to do with
browsers or cookies (or me) AFAICT.

When manage_cutObjects() is called with REQUEST != None (i.e. when used
from the management interface) then instead of the cut objects it returns
the value returned by manage_main(), this explains why my cb_copy_data was bad.

I've sligthly modified manage_cutObjects() to confirm that's the problem:

I've added a fourth parameter called noredirect to this method, this parameter
is a named one and defaults to 0, then at the end of this method,
I've just done:

            if not noredirect :
                return self.manage_main(REQUEST)
        return cp

Now it works fine both from my new management interface (Zope's modified one)
and from python scripts, with a method which does essentially the following:

cb_copy_data = self.manage_cutObjects(ids, REQUEST, noredirect = 1)
return self.aq_parent.manage_pasteObjects(cb_copy_data, REQUEST)

In other terms manage_cutObjects() wasn't designed to be immediately followed
by a call to another method when used from the management interface.

Not sure if this is a bug, however it seems this is a common problem in Zope
manage_xxxx() methods.

hoping this will help

bye,

Jerome Alet