[Zope] Decision question from a beginner

Phil Harris phil.harris@zope.co.uk
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:40:19 +0000

Christophe,

I'll try to throw some light on some of this.

1.	There is a piece of software in development called JPE, Java-Python-Extensions, you'll find it on sourceforge.net.  It says that it allows you to use Python modules from Java and vice-versa.  This may be a way to get Zope talking with Java and it's associated ways of doing things (EJB, JSP, etc).

2.	Yes you can/should write your logic in Python.  Normally CPython and JPython don't talk all that well, but using JPE this may change.

Now for the caveats, I am in no way associated with the jpe project and am struggling to get it working at all myself.  It is developed on Win32 and expects some pretty specific things in place (better to read the docs than listen to me tho).

That said it does look interesting.

Another way to look at this is to have a front-end Apache that maps Zope and lets say Tomcat into the same URL space.  This would allow your users to at least think that it's all one server doing the work.  The biggest problem with this is that the Zope security wouldn't cover the Tomcat parts and vice versa.  There are bound to be other problems with this way of doing things, I'm no expert 8¬).

If anyone does manage to get the JPE wotsit working then I'd like to know the recipe, pretty please 8¬).

hth

Phil
phil.harris@zweb.co.uk

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 11:04:13 +0100, I seem to recall, Christophe <"Christophe Lombart" <clombart@hotmail.com>> scrawled something like: