[Zope] Extending ZClasses

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 20:47:18 +0200 (CEST)

Peter Bengtsson writes:
 > How do I extend a ZClass? Overwrite general stuff that I want to personalize
 > for my own site.
I think, you can do this, if the original ZClass is redistributable
and fully configurable.

 > Can I just create a new ZClass with my Product as the Base Class? and then
 > create objects with the same ids.
You cannot use the same id in the same product.

On the other hand, there was evidence on the mailing list
that ZClasses break when the inherit from base classes in
different product and are then exported/imported.

 > Will that do it? Then I'll have to create a ZClass with a different id and
 > meta type and that will complicate things.
Either directly override (this will make it more complex
when you want to upgrade later to a new ZClass version)
or derive from the ZClass in the same product (this means
a new id).

Dieter