[Zope] using cgi programs in zope

Joe Gaffey Joe.Gaffey@gradient.ie
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 09:39:46 +0100

Hi Tino,

Thanks for the reply.  I am trying to provide a browser interface to nntp
newsgroups, which would allow new postings, reply's etc from within the
browser (similar to groups.google.com).  There is no zope product (that I am
aware of) out there that can do this, but to my knowledge (I have yet to
fully investigate) there are some cgi utilities out there.  I would like to
keep everything in zope but don't really have time for writing (or more so
learning howto write) a zope product for this.  However anything internal to
zope would be better as this would use existing user authentication (it is
an intranet system).

Thanks again,
Joe.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tino Wildenhain [mailto:tino@wildenhain.de]
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 7:07 PM
To: Joe Gaffey; zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] using cgi programs in zope

Hi Joe,

sure, you can start external programs, even perl scripts
from external methods in zope. But are you sure you
really want this? Mostly these applications are poor in
design and its better to reimplement them. Even more they
might be much simpler to reimplement then you first think.
Thus gaining better performance, better documentation and
easy further developement.

Just for curiosity, what does this particular CGI script
really do?

Regards
Tino

--On Montag, 2. Juli 2001 15:40 +0100 Joe Gaffey <Joe.Gaffey@gradient.ie>