[Zope] Will ZEO solve my problem?

Tue, 03 Jul 2001 13:26:37 +0100

On Tue, 03 Jul 2001 07:21:09 -0500, "Kyler B. Laird"
<laird@ecn.purdue.edu> wrote:

>>If the network block device doesnt work out, I am considering patching
>>FileStorage to distribute writes across the network, and only allow
>>the transaction commit to complete once data is consistent across
>>multiple remote mirrors.
>
>This would be great, and I do hope that you do
>it.
>
>I'm still interested in a simple method that
>does not force the primary server to wait for
>updates to be made.  If someone uploads a 1GB
>PDF file to my primary server, I'd rather not
>wait while every backup is made.  I wouldn't
>mind it for my on-site hosts, but I'm
>willing to sacrifice some transactions in a
>(rare) failure than have them always delayed.

Yes, this patch would need a flexible configuration of what degree of
replication is 'enough'.... whether that is high (at least one on-site
plus one off-site replica) or low (as you describe)=20

>>Of course replicated-ZEO would solve this and
>>many other problems, but I am hoping that by concentrating on just
>>this one use case I can develop something useful, sooner.
>
>I appreciate your efforts.
>
>>http://www.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ZEOReplicatedStorage/Survive=
TotalLossOfStorage

>>I take it there would be willing beta testers for such a system?
>
>Count on me.

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com