[Zope] ZPhotoAlbum and images in general

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 19:51:51 +0100

* Steve Drees <drees@the-bridge.net> [010703 20:38]:
> > is storing everything in one big file makes me extremely nervous. Probably
> > doesn't matter for smaller web sites but if I actually wanted to use this
> > for larger sites it would be a real sticking point. Any advice on this
> > point?
>
> Most databases store everything in a few large files. Why is one large file
> worse?
> ZODB is a real database. It's a real good database.

I just had to chip in and repeat your point again just to emphasise
it, since this question comes up so much :-)

I would always use the ZODB FileStorage unless there was a very good
reason not to.  It's fast, supports undos, is easy to back up, and
keeps all your application in one place.  The only two good reasons,
not to do so are:

 1) if your OS has a nastily small file size limit (e.g. pre-2.4
    Linuxen)

 2) If you need to access the same data from elsewhere
    (e.g. membership data in an LDAP storage)

seb