[Zope] WHY ? -- Performace in serving large media files from ZODB vs from external file system

Sedat Yilmazer sedat@kibele.com
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 11:46:37 +0300

Hi Zopers

In the performance for large image files discussion Dieter Wrote

> Both will be quite slow when servered by ZServer.
What could be the reason for being "slow". Since the files are large, =
the setup time can be ignored ( time to locate the object) Once the =
object is found only thing that remains is the reading the file from DB =
( should be a plain read) and push it to the connection. I do not see a =
reason for beeing slow on the db read once the data is located inside =
the DB.=20
Data may or may not be in a continuous block as in the file system. I =
see no code / decode or copmress/decompress in the process. So why =
should the ZServer be slow? Do I miss something here?
IMHO moving some stuff from zope for minimal performance reasons breaks =
zope OOWEB idea!
Sedat Yilmazer
Kibele Iletisim Sis. ve Serv. Ltd.