[Zope] Not quite right I think

Peter Bengtsson mail@peterbe.com
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 11:33:34 +0200

Somebody called Kemalus (can't find his email address)
wrote this http://www.zope.org/Members/Kemalus/smart_using_namespace

He says that <dtml-var foo> is better than <dtml-var "REQUEST.form['foo']">
"This allows your code to be more readable, hence more maintainable."

I disagree!
Looking back at old DTML I find myself wonder sometimes, "which namestack is
this expected to come from?"
In <dtml-var foo> 'foo' could be a method, a template, a property or any of
the many REQUEST dictionaries.
So debugging <dtml-var foo>, you have to search in all of this
possibilities, whereas with <dtml-var "REQUEST.form['foo']"> can only come
from one place.

No offense Kemalus. I just constructivly critize.
Readability isn't about the number of characters of text or the number of
quotation marks.

What do the others think?

Peter