[Zope] is DTML a www standard?

Alan Capesius alanc@tech-world.com
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 13:44:49 -0500

I'll have to take a look.

> If what you want is more DTML tags to code your logic, then I couldn't
> disagree more. Whenever I pitch Zope, I use the fact that DTML has very
> few tags as a strong selling point. DTML could be even simpler, in my
> opinion, to really encourage separation between logic and presentation.
> Again, you really seem to like mixing logic with presentation (SQL and
> HTML). This can only be good if everyone responsible for maintaining a
> site is knows and likes both SQL and HTML. I find this combination a
> rare.

Not logical tags, but common functions to get rid of the convoluted syntax
requirements.
The separation of logic and presentation is a valid point, but not everyone
uses the product in two camps. In my case, I do both. If you are correct and
I am a rarity, then I'll concede the point.

> I much prefer my_string[:3], my_string[2:], my_string[2:5] than having
> to remember the names and parameters of three diferent functions. On the

Good, good.
But now try to find a ready reference to this kind of syntax and
implementing it under Zope without learning Python first and you will see
the fundamental problem a newbie to Zope encounters.