[Zope] Re: WHY ? -- Performace in serving large media files from ZODB vs from external file system

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 10:31:32 +0200 (CEST)

marc lindahl writes:
 > > From: Dieter Maurer <dieter@handshake.de>
 > > I have to admit that I did not make any measurements.
 >
 > This is what we need, some real world numbers.
Go ahead!
 > I wonder why this temp file is used....  but just because a file is used
 > doesn't make it twice as slow.  Either the whole system needs to be analyzed
 > or measured.
Sure, but it may well do, if you have a really fast network or
access it locally.

  The most efficient solution: read file in chunks and stream it onto
  the TCP connection.

  ZServer's solution: read the file in chunks, write to a temporary
  file. Read the temporary file in chunks and stream it
  onto the TCP connection.
  Additional overhead: Reading and writing the file once.

Dieter