[Zope] I'm stuck getting Zope to start on boot RH7

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 21:12:49 +0200 (CEST)

Carl David writes:
 > subject really says it all. From the command line, in /etc/init.d/ I can
 > execute a script called zope which starts Zope properly (I can see it
 > with ps -ef).
 > Using Control Panel, I've placed zope in the start and stop places
 > properly, and upon boot, there is a message that Zope has been started
 > (OK), but ps -ef tells me that this is not so, i.e., it's been stopped
 > somehow.
 > Can someone suggest things I should do?
 > I got this going on RH6, on a sparc machine, but this is a i386 machine
 > and a slightly higher level of RH.
When you start Zope from "init.d", then it is probably run
as "root" (unless you do something special).

In this case, Zope will switch personality immediately after
it bound the ports. It will become "nobody" or any user
you specified at installation time or via "z2.py" arguments.

If this user does not have correct file system permissions,
your Zope will die soon.

Dieter