[Zope] Export to Excel format??

Mark Langkau mark.langkau@pbmplus.com
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 14:26:28 -0500

Hi Norman,

The data will exist in a number of places - mostly in Oracle tables. Queries
and access will be through the browser to Zope.

For example, let's say that the default response for a query is an html page
with a table of daily sales figures. Just a simple html table with column
headings of Date, Region1, Region2, Region3, etc. and rows containing the date,
and then numbers for the different regions. (This is a made up example).  The
client would like to be able to look at this html page and maybe download that
into his local Excel if he wants to work with the numbers. He may be looking at
many pages of different products or timeframes. When he finds something that
looks interesting, and wants to play "what-if" games, he would like to click a
link and download that data into his local Excel to play with.

What I'm thinking about now is creating a csv file, like:

"date","Region1","Region2","Region3"
"20010101","100","200","300"
"20010102","110","220","330"
etc.

The user can import that into  Excel once they download it from Zope. I need to
work on either converting the page into this format (extracting just the table
and converting), or rerunning the query and format the result as comma
separated values rather than html (or both at the same time to avoid rerunning
the query).

In summary, the use case will be something like: User queries data, user finds
interesting data, user requests local copy of data to import into local
spreadsheet for independent analysis.

Cheers,
Mark