[Zope] kludge around byteserving problem (2.4)

Kyler B. Laird laird@ecn.purdue.edu
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:46:29 -0500

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:07:40 +0200 you wrote:

>this seems to be another good reason to put Squid
>in front of Zope. It handles byte requests by his
>own, loading the whole object from Zope at once.

Ah...I hadn't thought of this.  Yes, it would not only
get around this (temporary?!) problem, but it could be
a way to move some processing away from our Zope
servers (ZEO clients) - something I'm constantly
trying to do.

I'm pretty locked in to Apache right now (for features
like SSL and PostgreSQL logging), but I think I can
see how you might instruct a proxy to only provide
this byterange service when Zope signals static
content by returning an Accept-Ranges header.  It's
tempting to build this into Apache's proxy module.
It's been several years since I touched that, though.
I doubt I'll do it anytime soon, but I'll be watching
for it as an option later.

Thanks for the pointer.

--kyler