[Zope] Macromedia SiteSpring

Mario Valente mvalente@ruido-visual.pt
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 17:09:31 +0100

At 11:13 20-07-2001 -0400, Ron Bickers wrote:
>>   Just a quick heads up so that you all are aware of a
>>  possible Zope competitor or, if you take a opposing view,
>>  to be aware of someone blatantly copying Zope ;-)
>
>This appears to be not at all a Zope competitor.  From the FAQ:
>
>"Is Sitespring a content management system?
>   No. Sitespring is a Web site production management system...
>   ...Sitespring does not manage deployment of files and content
>      to live production Web servers..."

  Yes. Indeed. But keep in mind that ColdFusion does that
 part. And SiteString interfaces to it....

>>   Emulation aside, it does raise some issues, namely on the
>>  workflow/communicate functionalities. How is Zope going to
>>  cope ? Do we have products available that bring Zope up to
>>  the same level ?
>
>It would certainly be nice if Zope had more of these features, but Zope is
>so much more than just this.

  Sure. Thats not under discussion. But those functionalities
 sure are nice.

>The starting price of $1999 for the server and 3 user licenses, plus $499
>for additional user licenses is kind of scary too, but I suspect that the
>target companies for such a product can afford it.

  The price advantage of Zope has been discussed enough.

>They also indicate that
>there will be versions for "other" platforms than Windows, but don't say
>which or when.

  There's a Java version. That will do for "other" platforms ;-)

  C U!

  -- Mario Valente