[Zope] storing files external from Zopedatabase

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 20:39:30 +0200

Hi,

--On Freitag, 20. Juli 2001 11:06 +0200 "C. Koehler" <chrkoehler@gmx.net>
wrote:

> regards,
> how is it possible to upload and store files external
> from the database of Zope?
> I've got a lot of pdf-files to store and the maximum of 2GB
> space isn't fare away then. [Zope can only store
> 2GB all in all, or not?]

No. Thats not a zope thing. Zopes default storage is
FileStorage, which writes all object data into this
Data.fs file. The process is limited by the underlying
system. If your clibrary, which is used by python only
supports 2GB files (signed longint pointers) so FileStorage
is limited by this. On other systems, it is not.
You can use another system, patch your system for bigger
files, use another storage. As example Shane did write
an experimental multi file storage, which distributes
the one Data.fs over multiple files, thus suppressing the
limit. Another solution would be using more then one storage
with mount in the ZODB (seach for ZODB and mount).

Just some hints.

Regards
Tino