[Zope] Is it just me...

complaw@hal-pc.org complaw@hal-pc.org
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 19:35:58 GMT

> ....or is this list EXTREMELY unfriendly to new users?

The learning curve on Zope is rather daungting.  That doesn't help.  Once you
start getting Zope, you put some serious distance between the you and the
newbies.  The learning curve is less linear and more like a band-pass filter.
That makes Zope look harder for newbies than it really is.

As you might recall, we had a debate on this list regaring whether or not to
create a ZopeNewbies list.  Back then I was against it.  But your observation
(along with mine) has prompted me to reevaluate my earlier negative opinion.

Linux-Mandrake has a separate Newbie and Expert list.  There wouldn't be any
harm in subscribing to BOTH lists.  Moreover, a periodic FAQ could be mailed out
on the list with all the newbie type questions we see so often (and perhaps
forget ourselves from time to time).

Just my $0.02.

Ron