[Zope] Occasional stop service problems

dek@outformations.com dek@outformations.com
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:04:10 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_TGFvVaMhYEj0QzbzdFL/pw)

I have an old client getting a strange error message when they try to stop
 the Zope service on NT.

The message is:
 Services
   Could not stop the Zope (Production) service.
   Error 0109: The pipe has been ended.

I believe they are NT 4 SP 6 and the Zope version they have is at least 8
months old.  They are also using SQL server 7.

 Even though the error message indicates that the service cannot be
 stopped, after I click OK on the error window, the Status column in the
 Services window goes blank next to Zope (Production) as opposed to
 "Started." And, the Start button is highlighted rather than the Stop
 button. One other time this happened I successfully logged onto the
 website so I suspect the Service is in fact not stopped despite what the
 Services window indicates. Also, when I have trying  to restore a
database at this point
 I have received the error message regarding to the database exclusive
access.

"Database in Use. the system administrator must have exclusive use of the
database to run the restore operation. Backup or restore operation
terminating abnormally."

The client realized (from Task Manager Process tab) that the process
python.exe was
still running even the Zope (Production) service had been stopped. They
highlighted python.exe and tried to end the process by clicking the End
Process button without success.

 What has worked once before and worked again today is the following:
After
 clicking OK on the Services error message above, I click on the Start
 button to start Zope  again, then click on the Stop button to
 stop the service. The second time I try to stop the service I do not get
 an error message and I have no problem restoring gp or starting Zope
 again.

Any help or clues to resolving the issue is much appreciated.

Dale Kiefling
dek@outformations.com            Outformations, Inc.
http://www.outformations.com   939 61st Street, #13
415 831-8776 Voice                   Oakland, CA 94608
510 655-7133 Fax

-- Collaborative Design and Software Development --

--Boundary_(ID_TGFvVaMhYEj0QzbzdFL/pw)

 the Zope service on NT.</font>
 Services<br>
 &nbsp; Could not stop the Zope (Production) service.<br>
 &nbsp; Error 0109: The pipe has been ended.<br>
 stopped, after I click OK on the error window, the Status column in the<br>
 Services window goes blank next to Zope (Production) as opposed to<br>
 &quot;Started.&quot; And, the Start button is highlighted rather than the Stop<br>
 button. One other time this happened I successfully logged onto the<br>
 website so I suspect the Service is in fact not stopped despite what the<br>
 Services window indicates. Also, when I have trying &nbsp;to restore a database at this point</font>
&quot;Database in Use. the system administrator must have exclusive use of the<br>
database to run the restore operation. Backup or restore operation<br>
terminating abnormally.&quot;<br>
The client realized (from Task Manager Process tab) that the process python.exe was<br>
still running even the Zope (Production) service had been stopped. They<br>
highlighted python.exe and tried to end the process by clicking the End<br>
Process button without success. </font>
 clicking OK on the Services error message above, I click on the Start<br>
 button to start Zope &nbsp;again, then click on the Stop button to<br>
 stop the service. The second time I try to stop the service I do not get<br>
 an error message and I have no problem restoring gp or starting Zope<br>
 again.</font>
dek@outformations.com &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Outformations, Inc. <br>
http://www.outformations.com &nbsp; 939 61st Street, #13<br>
415 831-8776 Voice &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Oakland, CA 94608 <br>
510 655-7133 Fax <br>
-- Collaborative Design and Software Development -- </font>

--Boundary_(ID_TGFvVaMhYEj0QzbzdFL/pw)--