[Zope] Problems with virtual hosting

Mike Renfro renfro@tntech.edu
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 18:00:19 -0500

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 11:13:28PM +0200, Frank Sonnemans wrote:

> The NamevirtualHost xxx.xxx.xx.xxx and <VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx>
> need to contain the IP address of the public web server
> interface. The howto incorrectly states:
>
>       NameVirtualHost my.real.host.name
>       <VirtualHost my.virtual.host.name>

Well, the howto is written from my known working setup here, so it's
not specifically incorrect. In fact, the actual lines from my Apache
config read:

  NameVirtualHost ch208h.cae.tntech.edu
  <VirtualHost www.cae.tntech.edu>
    ServerName www.cae.tntech.edu

Now, there could be other issues with your local setup that using IP
addresses happened to work around.  Things to check:

- do you use extra IP address aliases on the Apache/Zope server? We're
  only using one IP, and doing name-based virtual hosting.

- are both forward and reverse DNS queries working? Are you avoiding
  DNS entirely and using a hosts file?

- Did the DNS administrator set up the virtual hosts as CNAMEs, or as
  multiple A records?

I'll certainly update the howto in the event I've done something
wrong, or if your situation and workaround are commonplace.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu