[Zope] MS Access follow-followup

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper@rice.edu
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:14:39 -0500

>1> Does Zope on Win32 have the ability to automatically execute an event,
>such as send an automated email on a given date? I imagine the worst case
>scenario is to have an external method that calls a script that writes an NT
>Task Scheduler entry that sends out a form email with all the required
>blanks filled in. I'm hoping that there's either a product or that Zope has
>that functionality builtin, so I can manage it all from within Zope.

You don't have to go in that many circles. Make a Zope method that does
whatever (send an email) and have your OS's scheduler call that method
on whatever time interval you want. On a Unix this would be done with
cron and wget. On WinWhatever there's apparently the "Task Scheduler"
and the nasty little 'at' commands, but I don't know a lightweight way
to call Zope methods. You might have to write a little Python script or
something to poke the right URL.

Or, take a look for the Xron product, which is probably the much easier
(and XP) way to go. There's also rumblings of an event channel over at
the CMF, but I don't think that's really helpful here.

                --jcc
            (cross platform)