[Zope] objectIds vs. objectValues vs. objectItems

Brian Lloyd brian@digicool.com
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:26:34 -0400

> Does anybody with profound knowledge of Zope in details know the
> difference
> between:
>
>  - objectIds()
>
>  - objectValues()
>
>  - objectItems()
>

> I only know what they do.
> Sometimes I use objectIds() instead of the "richer"
> objectValues() because I
> think that only the Ids will be faster to find for the method. Does that
> make sense?

It makes sense. The goal of that API is to abstract the details of
how / where the sub-objects are stored. The current implementation
is not that efficient, so I doubt that one would be perceptibly
faster than the other for a standard ObjectManager (though there
could be quite a difference in another kind of implementation, for
example an ObjectManager implemented over a relational table).

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909