[Zope] Zope 2.4.0 on RedHat 7.0? Problems with Python module compilation and start script.

Dunigan, Craig craig.dunigan@esker.com
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:43:57 -0500

> And I only just figured out why the init.d script (which I got from a
> Zope-on-Redhat start-up script How-To) was hanging. The
> script in the How-To
> did not run the Zope start script in the background!

'start' only needs to be backgrounded if you run z2.py with the -D (for
debug) switch, which is not recommended for production sites, and (probably)
why it wasn't backgrounded in the init.d startup script.  The 'start' file
turns that on by default, which is of course very useful while you are
developing your site.  In addition to backgrounding it, make sure you add a
STUPID_LOG_FILE environment variable somewhere (usually in the 'start'
script) so that those useful debugging messages are in fact logged
somewhere, not just thrown up onto the console that you may or may not be
looking at.  Once your site is ready for prime time, remove the -D switch
from the 'start' script, but leave the STUPID_LOG_FILE in there.  It's
useful for troubleshooting problems that may arise later.

Hope this is helpful,

Craig Dunigan
Web Programmer
Esker Software - Extending the Reach of Information
mailto:craig.dunigan@esker.com
Ph. 608.273.6000
Fax 608.273.8227
http://www.esker.com