[Zope] Project FTP Site

Mike Renfro renfro@tntech.edu
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:39:36 -0500

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 02:17:57PM -0700, Montagne, Michael wrote:

> I need to create a project site for an archiectural office.  The primary
> purpose is File Transfer.  Each firm participating in the project will have
> a folder to upload files to.  They may also download from the other folders,
> but not upload.  The files are primarily AutoCad drawings.

If they'll primarily be uploading single files, don't even bother with
FTP, just set up a form that will let them post a single file via a
file upload form, similar to how Zope lets you do a file or image
upload. Otherwise, stick with ftp (but you might have to do some hacks
to tell Zope to store your drawings as "File" objects, not as DTML
methods or similar).

If there will be lots of changes to the drawings, you might want to
avoid storing them in a regular ZODB, unless you need the ability to
roll back to previous versions of the drawings. Using LocalFS or
non-packable storage for the drawings would be more space-efficient if
the files change frequently, otherwise keep them in a regular ZODB
with full rollback capabilities.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu