[Zope] Installing Zope, Python 2.1 / RedHat etc....

Bak @ kedai kedai@kedai.com.my
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 18:59:00 +0800

>I think from my experience with RedHat, the important thing is NOT to
>overwrite the python152 install. If you follow the python2.1 install
>instructions, do your make, and then make ALTINSTALL it does not replace
the
>symlink and so typing python starts python152, so all the scripts under
>RedHat still work :-) See the bottom of the install text in the doc
>directory.

what i did:-
-get the src rpm from python.org
-rpm -Uvh python*rpm
-cd /usr/src/redhat/SPEC/
-rpm -ba --rmsource python*
-go to /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386
-install all the python binaries available there
-the default will install python as python2, not overwriting python.  i
guess, one need to move /usr/bin/python, and sym link the python2.1 to
python
-to overwrite python1.5, edit python.spec in SPEC.  check the comments
there..

i've done this , and encountered no problems ..yet
(rh 7-1 tho)

hth