[Zope] Renaming folder slow...

Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:48:21 -0700

Yeah, I figured it was likely something like this.   I will migrate to BTree
folders eventually, but these are custom Folder types subclassed from
OFS.Folder in a python product that I can't change at the moment becuase I'm
going live with a site using the product...  Then again, if it's likely just
a matter of changing what I subclass from...

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Cook [mailto:twcook@iswt.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2001 3:39 PM
To: Joachim Werner
Cc: sean.upton@uniontrib.com; zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Renaming folder slow...

Joachim Werner wrote:

> > I have a folder that contains a hierarchy that includes some code, and
> about
> > 10,000 cataloged objects; renaming that folder is really slow; I'm just
> > curious if anyone knows why?  Does the id of the folder have to be
> re-keyed
> > in all of its children?
>
> I am no expert in this, but I fear that it is even worse: The folder is
> physically COPIED to the new name ... (Try with a large folder. If I am
> right, the ZODB should have grown quite a bit after the rename.)
>
> WRT cataloging I don't actually know if the catalog checks for name
changes.
> AFAIK it doesn't ...

Folders with several thousand objects should be implemented as
BTree Folders.  They are at least 5 times (probably more) faster
than OFS:Folder. I assume it is because BTree Folders do not
render all that extra info (date stamp, size etc.) into a table.
HTH,
--
Tim Cook, President - Free Practice Management, Inc.
http://www.FreePM.com Office: (731) 884-4126