[Zope] Re: Is there a "Virtual Folder" Product??

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 01:27:25 +0200

> I'm afraid that's not 100% what I wanted :-) I don't want any automated
> translations to German, but simply the english frame along with the
> german standard_html_header/footer pair. Please refer to my original
> post.
>
> Does anyone know of a fitting product? (Please see original Post)

In case you just want a fall-back to English as soon as there is no German
translation, there is a very easy answer:

Just go to the URL   http://yourserver.com/english/research/german/research.
Looks ugly, but works fine, and no product needed. That's acquisition ...

In this scenario, all articles not found in german/research will be searched
in english/research, too. Also, if you are missing another part (like
standard_html_header) in the German version, it will be found in the English
one. BTW: You can go on with this forever, e.g.

.../english/research/spanish/research/german/research ...

In case you want a cleaner implementation, you might have a look at ZBabel's
(the new one at iuveno, not the one at Andrew Milton's Zope member page)
ZBabel object. It works like this: You create a ZBabel object, choose it to
be a DTML Method and call it e.g. "Research_Paper_2001.html". Then you add
the German and English version into it. The ZBabel object will return the
English version if there is no German version. ZBabel object is still
alpha-quality but works.

Joachim