[Zope] Simple, Open Source RDBMS for Windows

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:10:22 -0400

[Carlos A. Carnero Delgado]

> Here's the satanic plan: with a little hard work for me, I'm
> converting my girlfriend's notebook office applications to Zope. She's
> currently using Microsoft Office for a number of tasks, but I'm
> "porting" her Excel and Access applications  to Zope (not porting
> Excel, mind you; just the business logic, as well as some reporting
> stuff from Access.) I have demonstrated her that it would works--and
> it looks cool BTW, not to mention some stuff I have under my sleeve
> for her in the future (Zope wise)
>
> But, I've been using Gadfly as the underlying RDBMS service. I know of
> its limitations (sort of). So, I'm asking you guys if there's a small,
> SQL compliant to the basic level, Open Source RDBMS that runs under
> Windows. Or is Gadfly more than enough for personal use?

But you might as well stick with using the Access database (as opposed to
the Access application) unless you're trying to get rid of all Microsoft
stuff completely - hard to do if you are using Windows. The Jet engine is
already on the machine, you could use it from Zope.

Otherwise, Interbase has an odbc driver and is free, or MySQL.  If you want
to get daring and be the first kid on the block, SAP has just opened up
their relational database, and I believe there is an odbc driver for it.

Cheers,

Tom P