[Zope] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-hackers/2001-May/msg00350.html

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 07 Jun 2001 14:03:23 +0100

Hey Owen :-)

Someone posted a reference to this on the Zope list:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-hackers/2001-May/msg00350.html

We care what you think so I thought I'd mail you back :-) How the new version of
Squishdot holiding up? What versiosn of Zope and Squishdot are you using
nowadays?

> the latest versions a few weeks ago. (It still leaks memory slowly,
> but other than that seems to be staying up.)

If you could provide some stats on this and are interested in fixing it, tell
the people on zope-dev@zope.org, they'll help you fix it :-)
IIRC, there's a Zope product called LeakFinder for finding just these sorts of
things :-)

http://www.zope.org/Members/hathawsh/LeakFinder

>  - You basically do everything by editing the site live

Not sure what you mean, have you tried out Zope Version objects?

>  - There is no version control over the content and scripts in an obvious
>    simple way. (The site isn't in CVS)

Well, it being a transactional database you can go back as far as you want.
Check out the history tab on most of the objects...
(Squishdot does have one, it's just not in the row of tabs...)

>  - I'd have some concerns about performance if it was handling every
>    page on gnome.org - it is in Python in the end.

It isn't. The core stuff is in C ;-) Do you have an impression that Python is
slow?

>  - It's complicated.

It does a lot ;-) But yes, it can be more complicated than it needs to be...

> And not well documented.

http://www.zope.org/Documentation
http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/ZB
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/ZDG
http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/ZB/AppendixA.dtml
http://www.zope.org/Members/ZQR
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/How-To

There's also the online help system that's part of the Zope management
interface.

Is there something in particular that's not documented?

Well, let me know how things go on. I'm obviously biased but I'd like to find
out what it is that makes you uncomfortable about Zope..

cheers,

Chris