[Zope] Major security flaw in Zope 2.3.2

Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:59:29 -0700

You can just use a squid external redirector (jesred, pyredir, squirm, or
custom) to get the same kind of thing out of Squid as you would expect from
mod_rewrite; then, that means you are using the same mechanism for Zope
virtual hosts as you are for URL rewriting.  I'm not sure if Apache buys one
anything more in the rewrite dept.  The one catch is you likely have to use
a custom redirector (or tweak the Python code in pyredir) if you want POST
methods to be supported, but this is not too big of a deal.

The 2 squid caches in my setup are peers, sharing ICP connections over a
dedicated network; I am working on setting up the second peer today.  The
boxes are balanced by a layer 4 switch (Intel 7140), which is set up for
"OPR" mode, which sends incoming packets through the L4 switch, but outgoing
packets directly out from the Squid boxes, bypassing the load-balancer.  I'm
trying to scale this whole infrastructure without creating a lot of
latency...

The nice thing about this, is that it seems to be very clean conceptually
for my company's infrastructure because, as a media company, we publish a
lot of material out to the web - from several places: static files, Zope,
CF, and PHP stuff.  In order to support all that and have caching site wide
(not just for Zope), it makes sense in my case to put Squid on the outside
of the setup, closest to the user downloading content.

Sean