[Zope] More ZSyncer stuff

Andy McKay andym@ActiveState.com
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 09:46:36 -0700

> Agreable, but regarding one point that if things are a bit funny, dont use
> it. It's either useable or not in this context, so is there anything you
can
> add as far as the risks involved?

Thats open source for ya. Remember I just released ZSyncer for the heck of
it from an internal project where it works just fine...

> Let me state a scenario:
>
> A subfolder you have entered in ZSync has almost ALL items as out of date
> but you know only one or two are ACTUALLY out of date. What could happen
if
> you sync the in-date, out of date items? From the way I see it, it only
> refreshes the copy of the object to be (theoretically) the same as it was
> before the update... (follow me?)

The same as it always does. It will replace the copy on the destination
server with the one on your source server.

> Is it possible that this misnomered sync could cause garbage to go in, or
> clear the contents of the object or....

Nope, it will replace the copy on the destination server with the one on
your source server.

 > From what you say that only the datetime is compared, than if the site
you
> are working on is fully functional, then a misnomered sync in fact doesnt
do
> anything, except for update the datetime to what it understands as
'proper'

It will replace the copy on the destination... etc. A by product of this
sync is to reset the date.

> Have I confused you sufficiently? ; )

Im sufficiently confused everyday anyway...

--
  Andy McKay.