[Zope] Unique IDs

Daniel Fairs daniel.fairs@spiderplant.net
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 15:08:00 +0100

> And additionally  - instead of using hashes -
> just to use a timestamp?

The key thing I need is unpredictability - hence my originally wanting to
use md5 as the last step in the generation. The 'usual' way to do this is to
seed the random number generator with the current time, pull a number out of
that and then do an md5 on it. I've got a number of options now, I'll look
at them

However, this doesn't answer the first part of my original question - why is
Zope asking me for further credentials when I try to use the md5 module? I'm
guessing md5 is in the security sin bin along with re and other stuff... but
why md5?

Curious...

Cheers,
Dan