Zope docs (was Re: [Zope] I was wondfe)

Oliver Bleutgen Oliver Bleutgen <myzope@gmx.net>
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 17:06:14 +0200

>> > they say "Zope

> Let me add my own piece...

> imho zope is quite well documented. I mean, if you need to find a function
> name and it's use, you'll allways find it in a few minutes. If you need a
> dtml reference, you'll find it. If you need to learn python, well, buy a
> book / see the online site.
> Even the zope api is not poorly documented. (just tried docfinder of
> Dieter - it's a great tool)

> The feeling of people when they say zope is not well documented is
> probably
> not because there is lack of "traditional" documentation.

> What is really needed is implementations examples of canonical problems.

I think there are many examples already there, it's just sometimes hard
to find them (and to be sure these examples are "done right").

Perhaps we need something like the open directory project (dmoz.org)
for some elements of zope documentation. OTOH, perhaps we already
have an effort like this with the ZDP. Only - my impression is
it doesn't seem to work very well, perhaps it's too ambitious.

One thing which I have missed often lately was a more fine grained
categorization of the howtos on zope.org similar to
that for the products. I just joined zope.org so I'm not clear about whats
technically possible with such an account, but if there's
need I would look into starting some smallish project that
makes it possible for the community to do that on ourselves.

But I admit, I think such functionality would better
fit as a core component of zope.org, but that would mean
work for DC. Also the possibility to comment/rate on
products and howtows would be nice, as would be
a fulltext search on all howtos.

cheers,
oliver