[Zope] adding an stx tage ?

Philippe Jadin philippe.jadin@123piano.com
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:29:29 +0200

> > fancier : <dtml-stx render="html"> , <dtml-stx render="docbook"> ,...
> >
> > Would this be hard to implement?
>
> Try <dtml-var foo fmt="structured-text">! This should do most of what you
> want (no docbook rendering, but do you really need a TAG for that?) ...

Well, the idea was a bit simplier (better?). Instead of describing the
format of the text in the calling document (wich makes no sense), this
introduced the idea of describing the type of content inline... This is imho
needed, maybe we'll have to wait for total xml integration, or maybe it is a
part of the new templating mechanism (I hope so!).

The tag could even be better if was more generic, something like

<dtml-describe format="stx"> my stx here ...</dtml-describe>
<dtml-describe format="html" version="4">My fancier html here
</dtml-describe>
<dtml-describe format="text">My pure text part here </dtml-describe>

and then the calling document (for example index_html, index.pdf ...) would
call it like this <dtml-render mydoc to="pdf"> or <dtml-render mydoc
to="html" version="2">

This coud be part of a larger system where zope could be used with
conversion plugins.

This would be great, but I guess not everyone will see the advantages of
such a solution... If one day I understand how to write custom tags and two
ways plugable converters, I'll try something like this ;-)

Philippe