Zope docs (was Re: [Zope] I was wondfe)

jacob walcik jwalcik@notwithstanding.org
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:15:03 -0500 (CDT)

the documentation problem goes way beyond the zope api not being well
documented.  even if someone else has already written products that do
everything i'm wanting zope do do for me (content management, shopping
cart, discussion boards, and web-based email), if the documentation for
the individual products is poor, the product is worthless for anyone who's
not lucky enough to figure out how to use it.

as far as traditional vs. non-traditional, i'd prefer a well written
readme to having to search mailing list archives any day.  all the content
in one place, no worries about not being able to find certain pieces of a
thread in your search results, etc.

the how-to's on zope.org are nice, but incomplete.  they either completely
miss crucial steps or they don't do a good enough job of explaining what's
going on to make what they're describing work with even the slightest of
variations.

i will however say that i agree with the point of the zope function
library being quite well documented.  and i've also been happy with the
dtml docs.  however those are two very tiny pieces of the puzzle.  while
zope itself is very reliable, fast, and full of all sorts of wonderful
features, it remains clumsy to those of us who aren't python experts and
who rely on software documentation when things aren't working as expected.