[Zope] When should I use CMF?

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:40:28 -0400

"Frank McGeough" <fm@synchrologic.com> wrote:

> I'm curious about whether people would recommend using CMF at this point in
> time for the following purpose. I have been asked to volunteer some time to
> setup a non-profits web site. I've been using Zope/Zwiki for a while so I
> was familiar with Zope, at least enough to get a wiki running and do simple
> maintenance on it. I figured I might try to use Zope for this purpose. The
> non-profit folks want a calendar of events and general information (phone
> numbers/contacts). They will have a handful of people (5 or 6) submitting
> content. It seems like overkill to use CMF for their purpose. The majority
> of folks that visit the site wouldn't log in ever and all these visitors
> would see the exact same site. Opinions?

Your application sounds ideal for the CMF:

  - We just added a calendar event content type, and have a sample
    calendar running against instances of it on the dogbowl:
     http://cmf.zope.org/calendar/calendar

 - The "five or six" content contributors are the only ones who will

    need to log in, probably;  you can even suppress the "Join" link
    by turning off the "Add portal member" permission assignment to
    Anonymous.

  - Skins let you suppress any of the "CMF-ish" bits (the actions box,
    for instance) you don't want to have visible.

  - Content has "regular" metadata, well integrated with the catalog,
    so searching is simpler;  alternate organizations of data based on
    this metadata can be created with Topics.

Just my (obviously biased) opinion.  I've CC'ed the CMF list so others
can weigh in, as well.

Tres.