[Zope] Zope, Cocoon, XSLT

Mike Krohn mike@krohn.org
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:00:48 -0700

Hi Christophe,
I don't have any answers about Cocoon but I do have a
similar problem.

I use an XML page definition language which defines the
objects that appear on a web page and their properties.
There is an associated XSL stylesheet that transforms the
XML into XHTML. The browser renders the XHTML and produces
the page on the client screen. It's a good system for
producing quick pages that conform to a standard look and
feel.

The problem is where to do the XSLT processing. At the
moment I am doing it in the browser. Zope delivers the XML
and the stylesheet and the browser does the transform. But
it has to be IE5.5 with the MSXML3 add-in. Not too many
people have that installed!

In the non-Zope world, I would also be able to do the
transform in the server. There is an ISAPI filter for IIS to
do it. Though I have never tried, I think Cocoon can do it,
too (presumably this is what you, Christophe, are looking
at).

I am new to Zope and don't really understand what is
involved but it would be great if there was some way of
routing the XML page definition to an XSLT processor before
DTML processing. Or maybe after DTML processing - not sure
about that. Or optionally before or after.

Has anyone got any thoughts on that? Does something like it
already exist? Is it possible to integrate sufficiently
closely with Cocoon to achieve it part in Cocoon, part in
Zope?

....Mike