[Zope] Using Java libraries on Zope (XML) content

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk@adelphia.net
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 21:39:55 -0400

If you had a Zope application that needed some library fuctionality that
is only available with Java at present, what would be the best way to
integrate?

For simplicity let's limit the scope of the question to using Batik
(SVG->PNG/JPG) and/or FOP (XML->PDF) on some dynamic XML that came out
of a Zope method instead of HTML, and as destined to be transformed
before its seen by the user.

There's always java HTTP servlets, but would there be a way to eliminate
the latency and overhead? I.e. Is there something in Python that would
wrap Java API's so they executed more or less in-process with the Zope
XML generating code?

(I suppose running a whole Zope on Jython is out of the question :) )