[Zope] 2GB Limit & Best Zope Platform

Garry Steedman gs@styrax.com
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:14:03 +0000

Hi Oliver,

interesting article at:

http://www.sysadminmag.com/articles/2001/0107/0107a/0107a.htm

which (in part) addresses your questions. i quote:

"Our benchmarks demonstrate a 12x performance difference between
process-based and asynchronous task architectures. Significantly, we
found up to a 75% overall performance difference between OSes when
using the most efficient asynchronous architecture. We found Linux to
be the best performing operating system based on our metrics,
performing 35% better than Solaris, which came in second, followed by
Windows, and finally, FreeBSD."

the 2GB file size limit is not an OS limit on linux: it is a limit on
the Ext2 file system. several journalling file systems for linux
offer max. file sizes beyond 2GB (at least in theory). check out
reiserfs, xfs etc.

i owuld be curious to know if anyone is running a production server
with one of these filesystems.

also, file storage for ZODB is not the only option: there are
alternative storages available which could help to get round file
size contraints: check out oracle storage/berekely storage for this.