[Zope] perpetual outages

Michael Sanborn msanborn@Adobe.COM
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:43:37 -0700

I've been having problems with Zope failing, resulting in a "Temporarily
Unavailable" message when anyone tries to access the site.

I was running Squishdot 0.7 on Zope 2.2.x and FreeBSD 3.x. Partly because I
was running out of disk space, and partly because of these failures, I've
just moved to a new machine with Zope 2.3.2 and FreeBSD 4.3. (In both
cases, Apache's serving the http.) I was going to upgrade to the latest
Squishdot as well, but ran out of time. The next morning, the failure was
back, and it's happened again a week later.

All I know is, the threads are still running, but nothing's accessible. If
I kill the threads and restart Zope, it works again -- for a while.

I haven't really grasped how all this stuff works yet, so:

1) Where to I look for clues (which log files, etc.) to help analyze the
problem?

2) Is this a familiar-sounding problem? There was a reference on the
Squishdot list to Apache's mod_proxy, but I'm not sure it applies to our
situation...

Thanks,

Michael Sanborn