[Zope] RE: Postgres permissions with psycopyg

tillea@rki.de tillea@rki.de
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 12:20:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Rene Pijlman wrote:

> > dbname=web
>
> No user name?
>
> >2001-06-19 14:05:24 [22300]  DEBUG:  connection: host=[local] user=www-data database=web
... as you see the user is the user running the Zope server
Is this a bad idea?  If the answer is "yes" here I have to say that I
tried the same with username and password.  The result was the same:
permission denied.

> >2001-06-19 14:05:43 [22300]  ERROR:  testtable: Permission denied.
>
> With PostgreSQL, operating system users don't get access automatically. You
> must create a PostgreSQL user to connect as (defaults to OS user) and grant
> privileges.
I did so.  This is what I wanted to say with:

   web=# grant all on testtable to "web-data" ;
   CHANGE

which implies a "createuser web-data" at system prompt before.

web=# select usename from pg_user;
 usename
> case, since PostgreSQL doesn't allow "-" in user names. I'm not sure if this
> still applies, since you mention a database user "web-data".
You just have to enclose the username in "".  If not you get errors in the
grant clause.

> Just search the list on http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/ with "permission
> denied". E.g.:
> http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=53327
> http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=30785
I have looked at them and also tried to remap the username using pg_ident.conf
but nothing helped.  May be I should ask those kind of questions on a
postgres-list ...

> And this of course (URL of local mirror):
> http://postgresql.demunnikservices.nl/users-lounge/docs/7.1/admin/user-manag
> .html
> http://postgresql.demunnikservices.nl/users-lounge/docs/7.1/admin/privileges
> .html
Well they are part of my Debian system but the things described there
I have done ...

Kind regards

       Andreas.