[Zope] Three questions: No response in Mozilla, VersionLockErrors, and transactions in Postgres with ZPoPyDA

Scott Anderson scott.d.anderson@home.com
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 17:34:11 -0400

Hi all,

Right now I'm running Zope in single-threaded mode, just to forstall any
questions of that nature.

Also: Zope 2.3.3 binary on RedHat 6.2, PostgreSQL 7.1, PoPy 2.0.2,
ZPoPyDA 1.2, exUserFolder 0.5.0

Question 1:

There is something very odd with Postgres and transactions. I will very
often find a postgres process in the list with "idle in transaction".
Typically when that happens, I can check the logs and discover that a
commit has not been performed, and database information will not be
written. One time while the site was idle, I couldn't add an index
without shutting the Zope process down as it had a transaction open.
When this happens, I can sometimes run a ZSQL method with only the word
"commit;" in it to unstick everything.

Question 2:

Whenever I use the version feature, working in a version will eventually
cause my users to get a VersionLockError just viewing the site.
Typically I'll see exUserFolder mentioned in the error:

<!--
Traceback (innermost last):
  File /usr/local/dev/zope/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py, line 223,
in publish_module
  File /usr/local/dev/zope/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py, line 187,
in publish
  File /usr/local/dev/zope/lib/python/Zope/__init__.py, line 221, in
zpublisher_exception_hook
    (Object: Traversable)
  File /usr/local/dev/zope/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py, line 175,
in publish
  File /usr/local/dev/zope/lib/python/Zope/__init__.py, line 235, in
commit
  File /usr/local/dev/zope/lib/python/ZODB/Transaction.py, line 300, in
commit
  File /usr/local/dev/zope/lib/python/ZODB/Connection.py, line 377, in
commit
    (Info: (('Products.exUserFolder.pgPropSource.pgPropSource',
'pgPropSource'), '\000\000\000\000\000\000\033\214', ''))
  File /usr/local/dev/zope/lib/python/ZODB/FileStorage.py, line 663, in
store
    (Object: /usr/local/dev/zope/var/Data.fs)
VersionLockError: (see above)

Question 3:

Mozilla (20010612) goes off into la-la land occasionally with my ZOPE
site. I can hit a link, Mozilla will sit there churning forever, and
while Mozilla is churning I can go into Netscape and pick the same link,
getting the page immediately. Any ideas, or take this up with the
Mozilla team?

Thanks in advance for any information/help you may have,

-scott anderson