[Zope] A Tale from IBM land...

Jon Edwards jon@pcgs.freeserve.co.uk
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 19:28:54 +0100

Interesting discussion!

Perhaps this is an area where the local Zope User Groups should take the
initiative? (and then zope.org can just point to the LUGs' info?)

One of the proposed functions of the fledgling UK Group is to post on our
site a list of sites that are using Zope in the UK, and a list of
companies/freelancers who offer services. Case-studies showing the "business
case" rather than the "technical case" are another possibility.

The resources and case studies provided by DC are a great start, but
(particularly outside the US), you can't beat local examples!

I like Oliver's idea of a downloadable skeleton-brochure too. Maybe the
"marketing of Zope" should be approached in the same open-source fashion as
the technical-development? I think more non-techies are joining the club,
and this is one way they can feel like they have contributed something back
to the community?

HTH

Cheers, Jon
>  2) That there are hundreds of consultants familiar with Zope/[insert
>     other open source solution here] that can take over that 100%
>     when the one who sold it to you goes out of business.  This
>     is also a marketing problem.

t'would be lovely if there were some statistics on the zope.org
site to point at to help salve management's fears. the arguments
often go along the lines of "where do we get qualified developers"
and "they've got to be more expensive" yadda yadda yadda...