[Zope] PoPy.2.0.1 Needs Postgresql?

Jim Penny jpenny@universal-fasteners.com
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 12:06:34 -0400

On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 02:11:46PM +0200, Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:

> I believe the configure script for PoPy is broken.
> Try building it "by hand" instead of running the
> configure. You'll only have to figure out the right
> options for two commands. Here's what I used with
> gcc on a solaris system:
>
> gcc -Wstrict-prototypes -Wall -O6 \
> 	-fomit-frame-pointer \
> 	-I/usr/local/include/python1.5 \
> 	-I/usr/local/lib/python1.5/config \
> 	-DHAVE_CONFIG_H=1 \
> 	-I/export/a/Postgres-7.0.3/include/ -Wall \
> 	-DVERSION=\"2.0.2\" -I. -c ./PoPymodule.c
>
> ld -G PoPymodule.o \
> 	/export/a/Postgres-7.0.3/lib/libpq.a \
> 	-lposix4 -o PoPymodule.so
>

>   -jf

Here is the situation:

If you are running postgres 7.0, the sid versions of python-popy
and zope-zpopyda will work fine.  (With no conflicts, no complaints,
everything just working).

To make the sid package pre-install process faster, I looked in
/etc/postgres, a directory NOT created by a source install
of upstream postgres.  To make things a bit more specific, I
looked for a particular file in /etc/postgres.

postgres 7.1 removed that marker file, and so the pre-install
grumbles.

This is probably good, as postgres 7.1 is currently not supported by
popy.

I have delayed uploaded a new version because upstream has repeatedly made
"just around the corner' type statements.  I think that I shall have to
upload a new version with a "Conflicts With: .. 7.1", just to avoid
this (hopefully) interim problem.

Jim Penny

PS:  If you are not using Debian, you don't care about any of the above.

If you are using postgres7.1 and need a postgresql adapter today, then
I urge you to look at psycopg