[Zope] Using ".." and "."

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 23:16:10 +0200 (CEST)

smileych@paradise.net.nz writes:
 > Everywhere I look on the tutorials, I see the use of URL0 (or 1 or 2 or
 > whatever).
 > Is there any disadvantages of just using "." when referencing?
 > eg:
 > <dtml-call "RESPONSE.redirect('..')">
 > to go from "users\update\update_user" document to the "users\" folder
 >
 > An interesting point is that if the document is the index_html, you would
 > only use "." rather than ".."   eg:
 > <dtml-call "RESPONSE.redirect('.')">
 > to go from "users\update\" (the index_html of the update folder) to
 > the "users\" folder
 >
 > So, is this a bad way to reference? Is there any advantage in the URLx
 > referencing?
Like all relative URL (with the exception of the relative URL
with an empty path), "." and ".." are resolved with respect
to the base URL. Usually, this is the document URL with the
last name stripped off. This can be changed with
a "base" tag in the HTML "head".

Therefore, usually "." is equivalent to "URL1" and ".." to "URL2".

The main difference:

  "." and ".." are affected by "base" tags, the "URLi" are not.

  In my view, the "URLi" is therefore easier to grasp.

Dieter