[Zope] Splitter woes

Oleg Broytmann Oleg Broytmann <phd@mail2.phd.pp.ru>
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 19:24:27 +0300 (MSK)

Hello!

   After some period of ignorance I fimally touched ZCatalog. I started
experiments and it worked perfectly. So I tried to catalog a production
service. It worked, but didn't do searches with russian letters, where on
debugging host it searched russian texts well.
   I asked Russian community if someone have an idea. To my surprise few
people reported that ZCatalog works on Linux with russian texts, but not on
FreeBSD, Solaris or NT. Wow!

   My debugging host is really linux box. I started to do experiments. I
have Linux, Solaris and FreeBSD - all run Zope 2.3.0 with koi8-r locale (-L
ru_RU.KOI8-R). After some experiments I found it's true - catalog searches
russian texts only on Linux. One of our community suggested
http://www.zope.org/Members/kslee/VoodooKludgeSplitter/ reporting he used
it on NT successfully.
   I installed VKSplitter on Linux and Solaris and reindexed catalogs. On
linux nothing changed. On Solaris the catalog started to search on russian
texts.

   Before installing VKSplitter on a production server (FreeBSD) I want to
ask - any idea what is wrong with Splitter.c and why it works on Linux? The
code in Splitter.c looks good - all neccessary locale code is there, and
char to unsigned char conversion...

Oleg.
----
     Oleg Broytmann     http://www.zope.org/Members/phd/     phd@phd.pp.ru