[Zope] data point on ease of learning Zope -- I give up.

Andy McKay andym@ActiveState.com
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 15:38:35 -0800

> It is now about 3 hours later and I have not yet found any "example
> code" or instructions that shows how to set up a basic web site or how
> to write Python code that gets executed, CGI-style, in response to an
> HTTP transaction.

You wont find one because it isnt there. This is not a CGI-style system. Its
different.

> I browsed zope.org, the ZDP, and a site called
> "ZopeNewbies".  I looked at the "QuickStart" that came with the zope
> server, but all I saw was how to edit web pages using DTML.  I don't
> want to have anything to do with DTML (though we use it in my product,
> Mojo Nation[2], which BTW is probably the second-biggest open source
> Python app, after Zope), and I don't want to edit any static pages, so
> I stopped reading the "QuickStart".

Well if you don't read whats there what can we do? If you arent going to do
anything in DTML and want to use CGI style development Zope is not for you.

> Even though I wasted about half of my scheduled time on trying to set
> up a basic Zope server, I'll probably still have my prototype up and
> running 3 hours from now, when I have a meeting with my co-workers.

So be it. It would take about an hour at most for an experienced Zope
developer, it would probably be faster and more featureful than an hour of
an experience CGI style programmers time. With suitable caveats on ability
and tools of course.

Good luck.

--
  Andy McKay.