[Zope] What are you doing with Zope?

Paul Browning paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 13:14:32 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:33:21 -0000 D.Turpie@open.ac.uk wrote:

> I would be interested to learn what applications (Intranet, web site
> Management, specific projects etc.) people are developing using Zope and any
> benefits/limitations you may have found using zope.

Too numerous to mention just now - Zope being the ultimate glueware.

> I work with the Open University library in the UK and we are going to use
> Zope to pilot a small Intranet for library staff.

Although prosaic

http://www.bris.ac.uk/is/

is Zope-hosted (I'm trying to get them to display a logo ....).

http://www.bris.ac.uk/is/internal

is the intranet site - SSL and authentication against campus-wide
NT domain (via Samba).

I wouldn't describe it as a limitation but the wide variety
of authoring tools one could use is causing alot of head-scratching
at the moment.

Some of the candidates (like Front Page 2000) claim WebDAV
compliance but aren't. I'm not a fan of Front Page 2000 but
as we get it "free" as part of a campus deal it's hard to
resist. Using it with WebDrive (http://www.riverfrontsoftware.com/)
may ameliorate the worst of the problems but we can't afford
to purchase this (even at 20$US for >500 users) on a wide
scale. We may try this route within Information Services only
I the hope that something better will come along soon.

Paul

--
 The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
     E-mail: paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk  URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/