[Zope] *Designing* Zope sites

Michael R. Bernstein webmaven@lvcm.com
Wed, 07 Mar 2001 12:10:48 -0800

Joel Burton wrote:

> I've been learning about the workings of Zope: ZClasses, ZSQL methods,
> Python products, etc., and there are *lots* of resources about the APIs,
> and lots of products to add content to our sites.
>
> There is also lots of help on how to *set up* a Zope site: how to tie
> w/Apache, etc.
>
> What I haven't found yet, though, is much advice on how to *design* the
> Zope site:
>
>  . effective ways to use User Folders
>
>  . whether to make containing folders for like objects (eg book reviews),
> and collect these for lists with objectValues, or whether to add them
> under user folders/different contexts, and use ZCatalog searches to find
> them.

Basically, what you need to decide is who 'owns' the object
once it's been created by a user. If the object continues to
be owned by the user (such that they can contiue to modify
it and even delete it), then it makes sense to leave it in
their folder.

If, however, the object (once created) is considered to
belong to the site, and the user (while credited) does not
continue to have editing and deletion priveleges on the
object, then it makes sense to collect them in a central
location.

Keep in mind that you may have objects of both types, and so
it might make sense to design using both strategies.

HTH,

Michael Bernstein.